1) Emissions are calculated using locally regulated methodology or locally recognized industry standard. Emissions decreases due largely to divestitures.
2) Indirect emissions are based on electricity usage at facilities and vary depending on energy source.
3) Flaring increase due to increase in production and large gas volumes in Permian basin.
4) Alternative water includes saline, produced, recycled and reused water.
5) Recordable injuries include fatalities, permanent total disabilities, lost work cases, restricted work cases and medical treatment cases.
6) People data reflected in this chart are based off December 31, 2018 numbers.
The 2018 Encana Sustainability Report includes data from January 1, 2018, through December 31, 2018 and is focused on our direct operations as outlined in our 2018 Form 10-K. The topics addressed in this report are those that management believes have the potential to affect our sustainability performance, and their inclusion reflects the results of Encana’s internal discussions and our engagement with key stakeholders. Our sustainability reporting process focuses on identifying and reporting issues of concern to our stakeholders and issues that potentially impact Encana’s operations.
We look at Global Reporting Initiative, International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association, American Petroleum Institute and Disclosing the Facts to ensure that we are reporting by the most widely respected and utilized standards in our industry. Currently, we do not externally assure the report.
Focusing on continuous improvement, our performance is frequently reviewed by leaders across the organization to assess our performance against internal goals and targets and to identify trends. Our teams analyze their performance and address concerns at the operational level.